Simple and Healthy Vacation Fitness Tips
Summer seems to be flying by at the speed of light, but there are still a few weeks left before we officially wave goodbye to endless sunshine, and say hello to sweater weather. That means there’s still time left this season for getting out of town. However, if you are nervous about falling off the fitness wagon while you are away–fear not. Check out our healthy vacation fitness tips:
- Book a hotel with fitness facilities. If you know you want to maintain some level of fitness even while you are away, plan ahead by booking accommodations that will support your exercise needs, and then ask your coach for a vacation workout plan.
- Do a simple routine in your hotel room. You can do this on 5 minutes and repeat it 1, 2, 3 or even 4 more times throughout the day! It will keep your metabolism fired up and your mood positive. When you’re tuned in to your body and what it needs, you are more likely to treat it right when it comes to ordering up some lunch.
- 20 deep breathing in, then out, bringing arms up and down
- Hip rotations, hands on hips, go one direction then switch
- 10 Plie squats (toes pointing out)
- 10 jump squats
- 20 jumping jacks
- 10 push ups against the bed/dresser/floor
- 10 back lunges each side
- Stretch as necessary
- Fist bump because you did it!
- Plan some outdoor activities into your itinerary. Assuming you are traveling to a place where nature is accessible, plan some outdoor activities so that you can get moving. From hiking and biking to swimming and surfing, or even kayaking and stand-up paddleboarding, the options for outdoor exercise are aplenty, so it is absolutely possible to stay active even when you are away from the gym.
- Try local cuisine. We always stress the benefits of shopping and eating local, and this doesn’t have to change even when you’re on vacation. Local foods are fresher and therefore more nutrient dense, so get a taste of what’s native to the region you’re visiting while ensuring that you’re able to keep up with some of your good nutrition habits!
- Mindset. You may have tried the approach of “I’ll enjoy myself now and work it off when I get back”. But that rarely happens the way we talk ourselves into right?! Our healthy mindset advice is to focus on keeping your energy and fun-loving attitude up by celebrating with other “treats” besides food. Like breathing fresh air, writing down your gratitudes, or taking a big drink of lemon water and curling up for a nap. In other words — Give yourself some love! That fancy dessert or Mai Tai will seem even more lovely.
With these in mind, we hope you feel ready to enjoy your next trip in happiness and in health!
Need some guidance on your fitness before your vacation? Reach out to a coach at INTENTIO at firstname.lastname@example.org for a free consultation.